Sverdlovsk (Свердловск) gained – regained a new name – Yekaterinburg (Екатеринбург) again in 1991 but history…well, no re-writting, it remained the same.
The Church on Blood in Honour of All Saints Resplendent in the Russian Land (Храм-на-Крови во имя Всех святых, в земле Российской просиявших) is a Russian Orthodox church built on the site of the house, where Nicholas II, the last Emperor of Russia, and his family, including their four daughters and son, were shot by the Bolsheviks during the Russian Civil War. The church commemorates the Romanov sainthood. Tsar Nicholas and his family were taken captive and at first kept at the Alexander Palace at Tsarskoe Selo outside St. Petersburg. Alexander Kerensky, leader of the provisional government feared for their safety and moved them to the former Governor’s mansion in Tobolsk. Later they were transferred to the Ipatiev House in Yekaterinburg. With the advance of the White Russian forces towards Yekaterinburg, and fears of a potential attempt to liberate them grew, the local Bolshevik leaders after consulting with the Kremlin in Moscow decided to execute the former imperial family. In the early hours of July 17, 1918 they were taken to the cellar of the Ipatiev House and murdered.
Over the years, a number of people have claimed to be survivors of the ill-fated family, the most speculations being about Anastasia, the youngest daughter of Tsar Nicholas II. However, forensic analysis and DNA testing conclusively disproved any possible survival.
* * *
under sanctuary’s golden domes
draft blows out candle
* * *
Carpe Diem Haiku Kai
Image courtesy of Google